Monday, May 3, 2010

today i chased the sun, and won.

my switzer journey is complete. in fact, it was complete 2 weeks ago...almost 3. as you can tell from the contents of my blog...it was an amazing experience. the moment i returned it felt as though it never happened which is always an awful feeling. however, each day i think about switzerland and can close my eyes and be there. someday i will return, maybe even before the year's end. below, is my journal entry from on the plane.

Right now I am sitting on my airplane back to Seattle...well to Atlanta first. Greg Laswell just played, now Camera Obscura is playing on the airplane. Good job Delta. I am sitting in a row with 2 spots and no one is next to me. HEAVEN! no claustrophobicness for me. Seriously, what a treat! Right now a million thoughts fill my head. Thoughts of missing what I am about to leave behind in Switzerland and thoughts of the many adventures this next chapter of my life holds. It is as though every emotion, feelings and memories are fluttering inside and traveling around my whole body. This is it. We are about to back this plane up. I know someday I will return to Switzerland so (ps now Lily Allen is playing. Delta, how hip you are!) that thought calms my saddened heart. A smile graces my face as I peer out the window into the past of my Switzerland.

I am usually a nervous traveler especially when flying. But today I have been calm. I told myself I could do this. So what if I had to throw away my beautiful glass jar of nutella in order to make my bag under weight. So what if I had to carry a heavy duffle carry on around the Zurich airport. I did it. I'm strong. I conquered. Now, I am sitting comfortably in my seat in charge of my own self for these next hours of travel. Might I add...ridiculously comfortable...especially in comparison to the squished chambers I experienced on my flight to Paris. Looks as though Delta is my flight of choice from here on out. Even if someone was sitting next to me I would be a million times more comfortable than the Paris flight. I might even dare say I could have a little more than little shut eye on this flight. I am throwing invisible confetti in celebration.


Oh, when shuffling things around in my bags to get a lower weight(at the ticket counter), I moved into my carry on a bag that I realized later had all my fingernail polish in it.(by all i mean the 3 i bought in switzer) I was convinced when they went through my bags at security check that they would throw those away being as how they are liquid. I mentally prepared myself for the loss. But did they? No. AND my perfume from egypt was in there as well. phew.

We have now backed out and through my window I see the Swiss flag waving me a "see you later". Next stop Atlanta.

Just watched Whip-It. It was genius, the music excellent and the casting all I can say is "bravo". It made me laugh, made me cry. It was very endearing. Directed by Drew Barrymore. I knew I liked her.

Today I chased the sun and won.

Thank goodness for being 5'2"- I can sit across the 2 seats.

You know, from the view inside the airplane it just looks as though we are a parked airplane. It seems as though we are all just in this enclosed room shaped like a tunnel and hanging out. Some people reading, some sleeping, some deemed as "the plane walkers", some thinkers, and some just kicking back. Well I like to think we are all just kicking back. What if there really was a place like this? As in a place where a random group of people go to just sit around with strangers and do basically nothing. {I guess in some respects it is a lot like the doctors office or waiting for an appointment.} Because really that is what I am participating in right now.

I can close my eyes and see Switzerland.


these were my switzerland shoes. they went through a lot with me and saw a lot of places. they were getting so thrashed so i just left them behind. they sure were comfy...don't worry i bought a pair like them when i returned home. {both pairs from urban}

the flag waved me a farewell.

bye bye beautiful switzerland.

that is the seat next to me. mine too. it was heaven. that there is my delicious traditional flight drink-orange juice mixed with sprite. yum.

listened to composer Ludovico Einaudi, who was the soundtrack to my switzerland.

best movie on the plane. worst movie on the plane: "my life in ruins"

delta served a pizza and ice cream snack before we landed. it was delicious and genius.

in atlanta i found a nice little corner to spread out all my carry on belongings. yes, i carried on all that you see there. it was obnoxious and heavy, but got everything home. that nice corner almost got me to miss my flight to seattle. turns out i was at the wrong gate. luckily i had gotten up to get food so the worker asked me what flight I was waiting for. They moved the gate number. The gate I needed ended up being on the other end of the airport.

1 comment:

Olivia Carter said...

Thanks for sharing! Can't believe you are back already- can't wait until you get back for some more adventures!